What is Virtual Reality?
Virtual Reality (VR) is a computer-generated experience which substitutes your real senses with simulated ones, placing the user inside the experience. The user can then interact within the 3D world by using as many senses as possible such as vision, hearing, touch and sometimes even smell.
Why is Big Group moving to VR?
Big Group designs new retail experiences and products for clients. Historically, designs have been presented as flat 2D visuals and renders. Although helpful, 2D designs can be restrictive as it can be hard to understand scale. For instance, visualising accurately how big a 2m x 3m table is and how it affects the overall concept can be tricky. This lack of insight can often mean that once the prototype has been built, issues relating to scale are often found.
How VR helps Retail – from concept to build
Using VR, we can offer a first-class design experience that’s second to none. Our clients can be immersed within a virtual reality retail environment, move freely and experience designs from any angle or position.
Wearing a headset, you can experience your retail display and/or product, giving you the power to review dimensions, layout, product line-up etc. This powerful tool allows you to be in control at the early conceptual stages of your design to give you an insight that can then be reviewed and modified before moving to the prototype stage.
Using virtual reality in the retail industry offers the following benefits:
- The 3D world is designed true to scale – no more visualisation issues
- Designers can flag issues or suggest ideas during the creative process, providing a more agile design phase
- The client can freely explore and gain a more in-depth understanding of the product they are buying as it is being developed
- Design issues can be resolved early on before costly prototypes are built
- First prototypes could potentially be used in-store – saving on overall cost
Ready to explore VR further?
If you’d like to find out more about commercial VR in retail and how you think it could benefit your design project, contact us today. Our experienced VR team would be delighted to hear from you.